I get asked fairly frequently about what equipment I use. So here's a definitive list that will help you and I both, for reference and to save time. :D
Included are equipment used in my home studio, as well as short explanations on how I use something or why I like them.
Medium Format, Lenses, Tripod
- Pentax 645Z: 51MP camera. Figured it's time for an upgrade after 10 years of photography. Could immediately tell the sensor quality difference from my 2007 1Ds Mark III. Really nice. Amazon, Adorama
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro: Great lens for close up beauty work. Amazon,
- Zhiyun Crane V2 3 Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer. Amazon
- Read my lighting tools blog post here.
- A detailed walkthrough on my lighting and studio tools are used is also part of my Artistic Portrait Photography course.
Read my backdrop blog post here.
- Flashpoint 10" Background Support System: Portable backdrop system with 3 section crossbars and 2 stands. Not the most sturdily built set but does its job well and is cheap, just don't throw it around. Amazon, Adorama
Computer & Laptop Specs
- Apple 15" MacBook Pro 2017, Retina w/ Touchbar, 3.1 GHz Intel Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD: It's a bit pricey but if you're doing video and travel a lot, the splurge is always worth the time you save. Amazon, Adorama
- Apple Mac Pro Desktop Late 2013. 6-Core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon E5, Dual AMD FirePro D700, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD Storage: Splurged a while back. Still works well even for video. Adorama.
Office Workstation & Accessories
- Kingston USB 3.0 SD Card Reader UHS-II Speed: Cheap but good, needed for the video SD cards. Amazon
- Dell Ultra HD 4k 27" Monitor P2715Q: My external display. Since I started doing videos I needed more monitor space. 4k gives me a lot of desktop real estate. Calibrated with my i1 so colors are consistent between two monitors. It's fantastic. Amazon, Adorama
- Western Digital My Book 6TB Hard Drive Amazon
Printing & Papers
- Canon Pixma Pro-100 Professional Inkjet Printer: Great quality printer for the price. I do all my poster prints on these, up to 13" wide paper. Amazon, Adorama
- Epson SureColor P20000 64" Large-Format Inkjet Printer: Successor to the Stylus Pro 11880, which was what all my exhibition prints have been printed on over the years. For edition prints you want nothing but the best. Adorama
For my thoughts on entry level DSLRs, check out Equipment and Where the Money Comes From.
For a list of all my photography articles, check them out here.